Curran’s Bar & Seafood Steakhouse was built in 1791 at the same time as St Mary’s Church on the opposite side of the road. Through the years it has passed from generation to generation of the same family.
Being at the junction of five roads and with the proximity of the Church, Chapeltown was the obvious place for a Public House.
Public House it was and from the early days callers from wakes, weddings and funerals were welcome near the kitchen fire. Mail was left and collected and for convenience the local doctor was often available after Church services. It was the social centre of the area and noted for the nights of story-telling, music, dancing and sing songs around the piano in the parlour.
There were sad times too and often farewell parties that lasted till dawn for those emigrating. Indeed the family had five brothers who left for America in the same week. Only two returned years later but their parents were dead and buried in the graveyard across the road. The more serious business of match making and will making was often conducted in the back snug! One room - now a corner of the main bar was referred to over the years as the Bishop’s Room. Bishop Patrick Mc Alister (1826 – 1895) was a cousin of the then owner Ellen Smith (nee Mc Alister). She had a room set aside for his visits after he became Bishop of Down & Connor in 1886. Notable Contributions to the Diocese was the founding of the Irish News and the building of the present day Mater Hospital in Belfast.
During the 1920’s Edward Curran bottled and labelled his own porter in the bottling room which is now part of the restaurant. The farm horses were stabled in what is now the end bar. After the death of the then owner Kathleen Curran in 1976 the dwelling house was included in the licensed premises. In 2003 the present family members carried out extensive refurbishment work under the guidance of Drew Henry and have created one of the finest bars and restaurants in the area. Today Curran’s is still a great meeting place and very family orientated. We pride ourselves on using only the freshest and finest local ingredients. The local fishing boats landing in Ardglass supply a wide variety of fresh fish including the prawns which we shell ourselves.
All steaks are locally sourced dry hung Prime Irish Beef and our potatoes come from local farmer John Doyle. With a highly trained kitchen team and experienced bar and restaurant staff we are delighted with the comments and commendations of our customers. We look forward to the continued growth of the business and committed to sharing with each of our visitors the best of Co Down – the finest seafood, excellent steaks, great wines, good value, luxurious surroundings, lively entertainment and warm friendly hospitality
It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged.
This page was started with Mobirise template